What is Dandruff?
Dandruff may be a common chronic scalp condition marked by flaking of the skin on your scalp.Dandruff isn't contagious or serious.But it may be embarrassing and typically tough to treat.
The good news is that dandruff typically may be controlled.Mild cases of dandruff may have nothing quite daily shampooing with a mild cleaner.More-stubborn cases of dandruff typically reply to medicated shampoos.
How is that the explanation for dandruff diagnosed by doctors?
Dandruff can have several causes, including:
• Irritated, oily skin (seborrheic dermatitis).This condition, one amongst the foremost frequent causes of dandruff, is marked by red, greasy skin covered with flaky white or yellow scales.Seborrheic dermatitis could have an effect on your scalp and alternative areas made in oil glands, like your eyebrows, the sides of your nose and the backs of your ears, your breastbone (sternum), your groin area, and sometimes your armpits.
• Not shampooing often enough.If you do not frequently wash your hair, oils and skin cells from your scalp will build up, causing dandruff.
• A yeastlike fungus (malassezia).Malassezia lives on the scalps of most adults.But, for some, it irritates the scalp and might cause additional skin cells to grow.The extra skin cells die and fall off, making them appear white and flaky in your hair or on your clothes.Why malassezia irritates some scalps isn't known.
• Dry skin.Flakes from dry skin area unit typically smaller and fewer oily than those from alternative causes of dandruff.And, redness or inflammation is unlikely.
You'll probably have dry skin on alternative elements of the body, like your legs and arms, too.
• Sensitivity to hair care products (contact dermatitis).Sometimes sensitivities to bound ingredients in hair care merchandise or hair dyes will cause a red, itchy, scaly scalp
What is the medical treatment of dandruff?
Dandruff will nearly always be controlled, however dandruff treatment could take some trial and error.In general, daily cleansing with a gentle shampoo to reduce oiliness and skin cell buildup can often help mild dandruff.When regular shampoos fail, dandruff shampoos you'll back up a store could succeed.But dandruff shampoos are not all alike, and you will ought to experiment till you discover one that works for you.
If you develop cutaneous sensation, stinging, redness or burning from any product, stop using it.If you develop associate degree sensitivity — like a rash, hives or issue respiration — request immediate medical attention.
Dandruff Home Remedies.In addition to regular shampooing, you can take steps to reduce your risk of developing dandruff:
• Learn to manage stress.Stress affects your overall health, creating you at risk of variety of conditions and diseases.
It will even facilitate trigger dandruff or worsen existing symptoms.
• Shampoo often.If you tend to possess associate degree oily scalp, daily shampooing could facilitate stop dandruff.
• Get a little sun. Sunlight may be good for dandruff.But as a result of exposure to actinic ray damages your skin and will increase your risk of carcinoma, do not lie.Instead, just spend a little time outdoors. And be sure to wear sunscreen on your face and body.
For most teens and adults, dandruff symptoms area unit straightforward to spot: white, oily-looking flakes of dead skin that dot your hair and shoulders, and a probably fidgety, scaly scalp.The condition could worsen throughout the autumn and winter, once indoor heating will contribute to dry skin, and improve during the summer.
A type of dandruff referred to as dermatitis will have an effect on babies.This disorder, which causes a scaly, crusty scalp, is most common in newborns, but it can occur anytime during infancy.Although it may be dismaying for folks, dermatitis is not dangerous and typically clears au fait its own.